What is Sports Massage?
Sports massage has a number of benefits including; preventing injury, restoring mobility to injured muscle tissue, boosting performance, maintaining the body in overall better condition and extending the life of your athletic career.
Sports massage is a simple, commonly used form of therapy popular in sport. The benefits and effects of sports massage include physical effects such as circulating blood and lymphatic fluids, as well as stretching muscle tissue and breaking down scar tissue.
There are physiological effects such as reducing pain and relaxing muscles as well as psychologicial effects such as reducing anxiety levels.
You certainly don't have to be a sports person to have a sports massage, some people just prefer it to the typical Swedish massage, finding the sports massage deeper and more to their personal preference.
Benefits of Sport Massage
- Stretch and relax muscles
- Identify tender areas before they develop into injuries
- Improve range of movement
- Free muscle adhesions (knots) and soften scar tissue after injury
- Restore suppleness
- Help and relieve muscle pain and spasm
- Promote healing after injury
- Speed recovery after exercise/exhertion (relieves muscle fatigue)
- Reduce muscle stiffness and soreness
- Relax body and mind
- Maintain body in optimal condition